Saturday, August 13, 2011

Sleep, interrupted.

Before kids, if asked which Super-power I'd like I would probably have answered Invisibility, or the ability to fly (particularly handy in peak hour traffic).

Now, I'd probably answer The Ability to Sleep.  At will.

Having Litte Red seriously stuffed up what for 32 years seemed like a pretty basic bodily function.  Mind you, she's been a very Crappola sleeper, in all the colours of the Crappola rainbow.  The sort of thing that is bound to mess around with your body clock.

From newborn night-partier to early toddlerhood still up 3 times a night with a bottle, we've battled every battle and read every book.  Now, after what seemed a brief reprieve, we've entered the "Nightmare" stage of the imaginative 3-year-old.

"MUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMY!!!!!!! ARRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" Last night I lept of bed to this piercing scream, certain she'd been murdered.


"The Snakes!!!!!!!"  my sleepy poppet screamed.  "The Snakes!! They're all in my bed!"
After establishing the offending serpents were not, in fact in her bed, I wearily went back to mine.

But as usual, I couldn't get back to sleep.  I couldn't get back to sleep if a poisonous frigging Asp bit ME on the frigging butt.


Laying awake for hours I wondered just when I'd lost my ability to sleep, and how my snoring husband beside me seems to manage quite perfectly.

Then, of course, my brain kicks in and all is lost.  Thinking about doing THIS post, for one.  Then something I forgot to put on the shopping list.  Then about something I should have said to someone.  And other things I need to put on the shopping list.  And a brilliant idea for a novel that was lost before morning.

And before I know it, a new day is dawning.What about you?  Do you have similar night-time struggles?  Any advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment